4:36Joseph . . . Barnabas . . . a Levite. In the Old Testament, the Levites did not have inherited land, as the other tribes had, although the Levites were allotted towns (Josh. 21). However, by New Testament times a Levite such as Joseph Barnabas may well have been able to own land. This probably was true of a country outside of Palestine, such as Cyprus. On the other hand, the land owned may have belonged to his wife. The introduction of Barnabas here lays the foundation for further reference to the significant influence of this outstanding believer in the life of the Jewish and Gentile churches and in the life of Paul.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.