2:1concerning the coming . . . and our being gathered together to him. This is the rapture of the saints spoken of in 1 Thess. 4:17 (note). Paul appears to equate the time of Christ’s coming and the rapture with the “day of the Lord” (1 Thess. 5:2; cf. 1 Cor. 1:7, 8; Phil. 2:16). In this scene all believers are gathered before the Lord “at his coming” (1 Thess. 2:19) and “on the day of our Lord Jesus” (2 Cor. 1:14). The “rebellion” must come and the “man of lawlessness” (v. 3) must be revealed before the day of the Lord arrives, and therefore they must also occur before the rapture of the saints. If the false teachers were saying that the day of the Lord had arrived (v. 2) and were anticipating the rapture at any moment, they could be proved wrong by the absence of these prior signs.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.