1:17Father who judges impartially. Though Christians will not be condemned for their sins (2:24; Is. 53:4, 5), they will be judged for their deeds as Christians and rewarded accordingly (Rom. 14:10–12; 1 Cor. 3:12–15). The reward promised, however, is not based strictly on merit; though it is bestowed according to works, the reward is still gracious. Augustine called it God’s crowning His own gifts.
with fear. God is both Father and Judge, and believers must approach Him with humble reverence and awe (Ps. 34:11).
throughout the time of your exile. The Greek word for “exile” suggests those who live in a place as unnaturalized aliens, and emphasizes the Christian’s temporary, pilgrim status in the world.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.