16:7–36thanksgiving . . . sung to the Lord.There is a psalm of celebration not found in Samuel. The passage is similar to portions of several psalms (compare vv. 8–22 with Ps. 105:1–15; vv. 23–33 with Ps. 96; vv. 34–36 with Ps. 106:1, 47, 48). David celebrated the entry of the ark into Jerusalem as a mighty act of God, and his words had continuing value for those returning to Jerusalem from the exile in Babylon. David calls for the praise of God (vv. 8–13). He remembers the promise of the land and the protection of God in the wanderings of the past (vv. 15–22). Later readers experienced similar blessings in their return to the land. David invites the people to cry out for further protection and deliverance (v. 35). Those returned from Babylon needed the same help from God. Finally, the people responded with praise and joy at the blessings of God (v. 36), just as the later readers should praise God in their day.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.