John needs no introduction beyond what is given in verses 1-2 (as Jesus' "servant," who "testified to everything he saw"), and beyond what he will give in verse 9 ("your brother and companion")... View the entire commentary
Grace and Peace, Glory and Power
John's grace and peace formula has sometimes been described as trinitarian, centering on Father, Son and Holy Spirit... View the entire commentary
As a prophet, John immediately recounts for his readers a prophetic experience, which he is careful to locate as to place and time... View the entire commentary
The Opening Vision
Humility, or "the common touch," is a great asset for anyone aspiring to public life or a position of leadership, on two conditions... View the entire commentary
When John turns and looks behind him to see the voice (that is, to see where it was coming from), he sees seven golden lampstands (v... View the entire commentary
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.