True teachers of the kingdom display the kingdom's treasure for all to see. Matthew concludes this central discourse of his Gospel with a final, eighth parable. If Jesus' disciples have truly understood his teaching (v. 51), they are prepared to teach others the value of the kingdom (v. 52). Jesus expects his disciples to build both on the biblical teachings that had come before him and on his gospel of the kingdom; the heavy New Testament dependence on both shows that they did so. Because these disciples understand (v. 51), they prove that they are the good soil, those who pressed in close enough to Jesus to know him (v. 23; compare 13:11-12, 16).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.