This section contains regulations for the various types of sacrifices that the Israelites were to make. For background on the history and development of the text in this and following sections of Leviticus, the reader should consult the appropriate commentaries and dictionaries.
In 1:3 through 6:7 regulations for five types of offerings are given. An appendix follows in 6:8 through 7:38 that presents further instructions for the various sacrifices. The listing of regulations for each of the offerings is introduced by the authoritative words, “The Lord said to Moses, ‘Say to the Israelites’” (cf. 1:1-2; 4:1-2; 5:14; 6:1, 8-9, 24-25; 7:22-23, 28-29). A brief explanation of the instructions for the five offerings and of major items in the appendix will provide the background for an explanation of the major theological themes in these sections.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.