The basic purpose of Acts is to portray the development of the Christian movement in its first three decades. There are four interlocking phases in this development.
1. The movement from Jews to Gentiles. This phase contains initial outreach to the Jews (1:1-8:3); outreach to “second-class” Jews, such as Samaritans and proselytes (8:4-40); outreach to God-fearing Gentiles (9:32-11:18); finally, outreach to Gentiles with no connection to Judaism (13:2-21:15).
2. The movement from Jerusalem to Rome. This movement also has four stages: (1) from Jerusalem throughout Judea, Samaria, and Galilee (1:1-9:31); (2) extension to Antioch (11:19-13:1); (3) the Antioch-based mission (13:2-21:16); (4) Paul to Rome (21:17-28:31).
3. The problems within the Christian movement. There are four dimensions to these problems that thread through the book: (1) Jews versus Jewish Christians, (2) Hebrew Christians versus Hellenistic Christians, (3) Jewish Christians versus gentile Christians, (4) Christians versus Roman authorities.
4. The establishment of Paul's primacy in the emergence of Christianity out of Judaism into the Roman world. One way in which the author establishes Paul's authority is to select events from Paul's ministry to the Gentiles that parallel Peter's ministry to the Jews. Each heals a lame person (3:2-10; 14:8-10), each is the source of miraculous healings (5:15; 19:12), each performs exorcisms (5:16; 16:18), each contends with sorcerers (8:18-24; 13:6-11), each raises the dead (9:36-42; 20:9-10?), and each has miraculous deliverances from prison (5:19: 12:7-11; 16:25-26).
The author skillfully interweaves these four phases to record how, through the empowerment and guidance of the Holy Spirit, a small Jewish, messianic sect became a major movement in the Roman world.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.