This last lament again acknowledges sin as the cause of the present misfortune of God's people. V. 7 reflects a common belief held by the exiled community (see Eze 18). The community is under judgment not only because of the sins of the fathers, but also because of their own sins. Hence the confession “We have sinned” (v. 16) is appropriate. The judgment is the clear evidence of the sovereignty of God and his kingship from generation to generation (v. 19). The lament ends with an earnest appeal for the restoration of God's people. The apostate nation's future depends entirely on God's will to restore them unto himself. The writer is certain that the Eternal King and the Sovereign Lord will not reject or be angry forever with a repentant sinner (vv. 19-22).
Consult Delbert Hillers' commentary on Lamentations for a detailed bibliography.
Hillers, D. Lamentations. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1972.
Kaiser, W., Jr., A Biblical Approach to Personal Suffering. Chicago: Moody Press, 1982.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Now that you've created a Bible Gateway account, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus, the ultimate online Bible reading & study experience! For just a few dollars each month, Bible Gateway Plus gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.