Jewish tradition universally located the Psalms in the third section of the Hebrew Scriptures called “The Writings” (the Keṯûḇîm), following the Former and Latter Prophets (Genesis-2 Kings and Isaiah-Malachi respectively, excluding Daniel) but placed it variously within those books. Lk 24:44 apparently reflects a tradition (also in the lxx) that placed the Psalms at the head of the Writings. Modern English versions follow a tradition seen also in the Vulgate where Job, Psalms, and Proverbs, in that order, lead the Writings and in which this set of books stands between the Former and Latter Prophets.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.