Luke explicitly states that he wished to give “an account” of Jesus' life and teaching (1:1-4). He wanted Theophilus, to whom the work was dedicated, to “know the certainty” of the things he had been taught. And presumably he wanted that certainty to be known by others who read or listened to his gospel. Luke was a historian in the sense that he desired to record events accurately and to place them in their historical setting. He did not attempt to write a detailed biography of Jesus; rather, he endeavored to give a faithful account of the most important aspects of Jesus' life and teaching. Scholars have differed about the reliability of his account (see Fitzmyer, 1:14-18; Marshall, Luke: Historian, 53-76). This commentary, however, is based on the events and teaching as recorded and interpreted by Luke.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.