The arrangement of this book includes a large poetic section (3:1-42:6) flanked by shorter prose sections. The prologue (1:2-2:13) pictures Job in his original happiness and details his calamities; the epilogue (42:7-17) depicts Job's restoration and final satisfaction.
The bulk, of the poetic section is given over to the speeches of Job and his comforters (4:1-27:23), aligned in three cycles:
They are flanked by Job's opening soliloquy (3:1-26) and his closing peroration (29:1-31:40). Ch. 28 disturbs the symmetry of the book with its Hymn on Wisdom and the uncertainty of the speaker. Chs. 32-37 contain the presentations of Elihu, who is neither anticipated in the prologue nor assessed in the epilogue. Possibly Elihu should be seen as an adjudicator, providing a human estimate (32:12; 33:12) of the previous speeches. The book ends with the Lord's critique (42:7).
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.