More than any other OT prophet, Ezekiel frequently dated events, his particular visions, and prophecies. Now that archaeology has made available to modern scholars various Babylonian annals written in cuneiform on clay tablets and other materials, it is possible to calculate precise equivalents in terms of our calendar. The thirteen separate events or times Ezekiel cites have been calculated as follows:
1. His vision call (1:1, 5; 3:16)—July 31, 593 B.C.E.
2. His vision visit to Jerusalem (8:1)—Sept. 17, 592 B.C.E.
3. God's heartbreak over Judah's sin (20:1-2)—Aug. 14, 591 B.C.E.
4. Start of siege of Jerusalem (24:1)—Jan. 15, 588 B.C.E.
5. Judgment against Tyre (26:1)—Apr. 23, 587, to Apr. 13, 586 B.C.E.
6. Judgment against Egypt (29:1)—Jan. 7, 587 B.C.E.
7. Egypt given to Babylon for Tyre (29:17)—Apr. 26, 571 B.C.E.
8. Judgment against Pharaoh (30:20)—Apr. 29, 587 B.C.E.
9. Judgment against Pharaoh (31:1)—June 21, 587 B.C.E.
11. Demise of Egypt (32:17)—Apr. 13, 586, to Apr. 1, 585 B.C.E.
12. Arrival of Jerusalem escapee 33:21)—Jan. 8, 585 B.C.E.
13. Vision of the New Jerusalem (40:1)—Apr. 28, 573 B.C.E.
Additional information concerning dating of events in Ezekiel may be found in the following resources: Greenberg, Ezekiel, 1-20, 8-11); Zimmerli, Ezekiel 1, 9-16.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
For the best Bible Gateway experience, upgrade to Bible Gateway Plus. For less than the cost of a latte each month, you'll gain access to a vast digital Bible study library and reduced banner ads to minimize distractions from God's Word. Try it free for 30 days!