According to the Delphi inscription, Gallio was proconsul in Achaia sometime between late summer 50 and spring a.d. 53. While Paul was in Corinth, he was arraigned before Gallio (Ac 18:12-17). If Paul wrote 1Th shortly after arriving in Corinth, then it was written between a.d. 50 and 51 (see Best, 7-13; Bruce, xxxv).
First Thessalonians responds to Timothy's report on his visit. Best suggests two other reasons: Paul's knowledge of the needs of young Christians in general and the specific conditions in Thessalonica (p. 15). The latter point dominates.
Three practical issues can be detected: the legitimacy of Paul's apostleship, persecution of the believers, and sexual ethics. Two theological issues also emerged: the fate of “the dead in Christ” at the Second Coming (Parousia) and its timing, and the indissoluble link between high standards of ethical behaviour and the Spirit-filled life.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your free trial.
Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. You’re already logged in with your Bible Gateway account. The next step is to enter your payment information. Your credit card won’t be charged until the trial period is over. You can cancel anytime during the trial period.
Click the button below to continue.
Step 1 - Create an account or log in to start your subscription.
You’ve already claimed your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus. To subscribe at our regular subscription rate of $3.99/month, click the button below.
Upgrade to remove banner ads and unlock new features!
You've successfully created your account! For the ultimate Bible Gateway experience, consider upgrading Bible Gateway Plus to get the most out of your new account. For just a few dollars each month, a Bible Gateway Plus upgrade gives you:
• A complete digital Bible study library integrated with your Bible Gateway account, with no expensive software to install.
• Access to 40+ study & reference books including the NIV Study Bible, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary, and the MacArthur Study Bible.
• Special during April only: full access to the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
• An ad-free Bible Gateway experience.
• A risk-free, 30-day trial—you can cancel any time.