New American Standard Bible
Instruction about Prayer
11 It happened that while [a]Jesus was praying in a certain place, when He had finished, one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.” 2 And He said to them, “(A)When you pray, say:
‘[b]Father, [c]hallowed be Your name.
[d]Your kingdom come.
3 Give us (B)each day our [e]daily bread.
4 And forgive us our sins,
For we ourselves also forgive everyone who (C)is indebted to us.
And do not lead us into temptation.’”
5 And He said to them, “[f]Suppose one of you has a friend, and goes to him at midnight and says to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, 6 because a friend of mine has come to me from a journey and I have nothing to serve him’; 7 and from inside he answers and says, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been shut and my children [g]and I are in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.’ 8 I tell you, even if he will not get up and give him anything just because he is his friend, yet (D)because of his [h]shamelessness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
9 “So I say to you, [i](E)ask, and it will be given to you; [j]seek, and you will find; [k]knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks, it will be opened.Read full chapter
- Luke 11:1 Lit He
- Luke 11:2 Later mss add phrases from Matt 6:9-13 to make the two passages closely similar
- Luke 11:2 I.e., treated as sacred or holy
- Luke 11:2 Or May Your...come
- Luke 11:3 Or bread for the coming day; or needful bread
- Luke 11:5 Lit Which one of you will have...and will go
- Luke 11:7 Lit are with me
- Luke 11:8 Prob. by continued knocking
- Luke 11:9 Or keep asking
- Luke 11:9 Or keep seeking
- Luke 11:9 Or keep knocking
New American Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1960, 1971, 1977, 1995, 2020 by The Lockman Foundation. All rights reserved.