New English Translation
23 Jesus replied,[a] “If anyone loves me, he will obey[b] my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and take up residence with him.[c] 24 The person who does not love me does not obey[d] my words. And the word[e] you hear is not mine, but the Father’s who sent me.Read full chapter
- John 14:23 tn Grk “answered and said to him.”
- John 14:23 tn Or “will keep.”
- John 14:23 tn Grk “we will come to him and will make our dwelling place with him.” The context here is individual rather than corporate indwelling, so the masculine singular pronoun has been retained throughout v. 23. It is important to note, however, that the pronoun is used generically here and refers equally to men, women, and children.
- John 14:24 tn Or “does not keep.”
- John 14:24 tn Or “the message.”