1599 Geneva Bible
19 1 The destruction of the Egyptians by the Assyrians. 18 Of their conversion to the Lord.
1 The [a]burden of Egypt. Behold, the Lord [b]rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt, and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of her.
2 And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: so everyone shall [c]fight against his brother, and everyone against his neighbor, city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.
3 And the [d]spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst of her, and I will destroy their counsel, and they shall seek at the idols, and at the sorcerers, and at them that have spirits of divination, and at the soothsayers.
4 And I will deliver the Egyptians into the hand of the cruel lords, and a mighty king shall rule over them, saith the Lord God of hosts.
5 Then the waters of the sea shall [e]fail, and the river shall be dried up, and wasted.
6 And the [f]rivers shall go far away: the rivers of defense shall be emptied and dried up: the reeds and flags shall be cut down.
7 The grass in the river, and at the [g]head of the rivers, and all that groweth by the river shall wither, and be driven away, and be no more.
8 The fishers also shall [h]mourn, and all they that cast angle into the river, shall lament, and they that spread their net upon the waters, shall be weakened.
9 Moreover, they that work in flax of divers sorts, shall be confounded, and they that weave nets.
10 For their nets shall be broken, and all they that make ponds shall be heavy in heart.Read full chapter
- Isaiah 19:1 Read Isa. 13:7.
- Isaiah 19:1 Because the Egyptians trusted in the defense of their country, in the multitude of their idols, and in the valiantness of their men, the Lord showeth that he will come over all their munitions in a swift cloud, and that their idols shall tremble at his coming and that men’s hearts shall faint.
- Isaiah 19:2 As he caused the Ammonites, Moabites and Idumeans to kill one another, when they came to destroy the Church of God, 2 Chron. 20:22; Isa. 49:26.
- Isaiah 19:3 Meaning, their policy and wisdom.
- Isaiah 19:5 He showeth that the sea and Nile their great river, whereby they thought themselves most sure, should not be able to defend them from his anger, but that he would send the Assyrians among them, that should keep them under as slaves.
- Isaiah 19:6 For the Nile ran into the sea by seven streams, as though they were so many rivers.
- Isaiah 19:7 The Hebrew word is mouth, whereby they mean the spring out of the which the water gusheth as out of a mouth.
- Isaiah 19:8 The Scriptures used to describe the destruction of a country by taking away of the commodities thereof, as by vines, flesh, fish, and such other things, whereby countries are enriched.
1599 Geneva Bible
17 And the land of Judah shall be a fear [a]unto Egypt: everyone that maketh mention of it, shall be afraid thereat, because of the counsel of the Lord of hosts, which he hath determined upon it.Read full chapter
- Isaiah 19:17 Considering that through their occasion the Jews made not God their defense: but put their trust in them, and were therefore now punished, they shall fear lest the like light upon them.