1599 Geneva Bible
10 1 The vanity of Idolatry. 3 The Lord promiseth to visit and comfort the house of Israel.
1 Ask you of the [a]Lord rain in the time of the latter rain: so shall the Lord make white clouds, and give you showers of rain, and to everyone grass in the field.
2 Surely the [b]idols have spoken vanity, and the soothsayers have seen a lie, and the dreamers have told a vain thing: they comfort in vain: therefore [c]they went away as sheep: they were troubled, because there was no shepherd.Read full chapter
- Zechariah 10:1 The Prophet reproveth the Jews, because by their own infidelity they put back God’s graces promised, and so famine came by God’s just judgment: therefore to avoid this plague, he willeth them to turn to God, and to pray in faith to him, and so he will give them abundance.
- Zechariah 10:2 He calleth to remembrance God’s punishments in times past, because they trusted not in him, but in their idols and sorcerers who ever deceived them.
- Zechariah 10:2 That is, the Jews went into captivity.
- Zechariah 10:3 Meaning, the cruel governors which did oppress the poor sheep, Ezek. 34:16, 17.
- Zechariah 10:3 He will be merciful to his Church and cherish them as a king or prince doth his best horse which shall be for his own use in war.
New International Version
The Lord Will Care for Judah
10 Ask the Lord for rain in the springtime;
it is the Lord who sends the thunderstorms.
He gives showers of rain(A) to all people,
and plants of the field(B) to everyone.
2 The idols(C) speak deceitfully,
diviners(D) see visions that lie;
they tell dreams(E) that are false,
they give comfort in vain.(F)
Therefore the people wander like sheep
oppressed for lack of a shepherd.(G)