New English Translation
7 eternal life to those who by perseverance in good works seek glory and honor and immortality, 8 but[a] wrath and anger to those who live in selfish ambition[b] and do not obey the truth but follow[c] unrighteousness. 9 There will be[d] affliction and distress on everyone[e] who does evil, on the Jew first and also the Greek,[f]Read full chapter
- Romans 2:8 tn This contrast is clearer and stronger in Greek than can be easily expressed in English.
- Romans 2:8 tn Grk “those who [are] from selfish ambition.”
- Romans 2:8 tn Grk “are persuaded by, obey.”
- Romans 2:9 tn No verb is expressed in this verse, but the verb “to be” is implied by the Greek construction. Literally “suffering and distress on everyone…”
- Romans 2:9 tn Grk “every soul of man.”
- Romans 2:9 sn Paul uses the term Greek here and in v. 10 to refer to non-Jews, i.e., Gentiles.