New English Translation
5 But because of your stubbornness[a] and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath for yourselves in the day of wrath, when God’s righteous judgment is revealed![b] 6 He[c] will reward[d] each one according to his works:[e] 7 eternal life to those who by perseverance in good works seek glory and honor and immortality,Read full chapter
- Romans 2:5 tn Grk “hardness.” Concerning this imagery, see Jer 4:4; Ezek 3:7; 1 En. 16:3.
- Romans 2:5 tn Grk “in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God.”
- Romans 2:6 tn Grk “who.” The relative pronoun was converted to a personal pronoun and, because of the length and complexity of the Greek sentence, a new sentence was started here in the translation.
- Romans 2:6 tn Or “will render,” “will recompense.” In this context Paul is setting up a hypothetical situation, not stating that salvation is by works.
- Romans 2:6 sn A quotation from Ps 62:12; Prov 24:12; a close approximation to Matt 16:27.
New International Version
5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath(A), when his righteous judgment(B) will be revealed. 6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a](C) 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor(D) and immortality,(E) he will give eternal life.(F)Read full chapter
- Romans 2:6 Psalm 62:12; Prov. 24:12