New English Translation
The Sealing of the 144,000
7 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth so no wind could blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree. 2 Then[a] I saw another angel ascending from the east,[b] who had[c] the seal[d] of the living God. He[e] shouted out with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given permission[f] to damage the earth and the sea:[g]Read full chapter
- Revelation 7:2 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence of events within the vision.
- Revelation 7:2 tn Grk “from the rising of the sun.” BDAG 74 s.v. ἀνατολή 2.a takes this as a geographical direction: “ἀπὸ ἀ. ἡλίου…from the east Rv 7:2; 16:12…simply ἀπὸ ἀ.…21:13.”
- Revelation 7:2 tn Grk “having,” but v. 3 makes it clear that the angel’s purpose is to seal others with the seal he carries.
- Revelation 7:2 tn Or “signet” (L&N 6.54).
- Revelation 7:2 tn Because of the length and complexity of the Greek sentence, a new sentence was started here in the translation. Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 7:2 tn The word “permission” is implied; Grk “to whom it was given to them to damage the earth.”
- Revelation 7:2 tn Grk “saying.” The participle λέγων (legōn) is redundant in contemporary English and has not been translated.