1599 Geneva Bible
7 1 The Angels coming to hurt the earth, 3 are stayed until the elect of the Lord, 5 of all tribes were sealed. 13 Such as suffered persecution for Christ’s sake, 16 have great felicity, 17 and joy.
1 And [a]after that, I saw four Angels stand on the [b]four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the winds should not blow on the earth, neither on the sea, [c]neither on any tree.
2 [d]And I saw [e]another Angel come up from the East, which had the seal of the living God, and he cried with a loud voice to the four Angels to whom power was given to hurt the earth, and the sea, saying,Read full chapter
- Revelation 7:1 The second member of this part, is a preventing of danger as we distinguished the same before, Chap. 6:1, that is of the caution whereby God took care before hand and provided for his that after the example of the Israelites of old, Exod. 8:13, the faithful might be exempted from the plagues of this wicked world. This whole place is a certain interlocution and bringing in for this whole chapter by occasion of the prediction and argument of the sixth seal. For first that evil is prevented in the elect unto verse 9. Then thanks are given by the elect for that cause, verses 10, 11, 12. Lastly, the accomplishment of the thing is set forth unto the end of the chapter. The first verse is a transition speaking of the Angels which keep these inferior parts from all evil, until God do command. For (as it is excellently figured by Ezek. 11:12) their faces and their wings are reached upwards, continually waiting upon and beholding the countenance of God for their direction: and every [one] of them goeth into that part that is right before his face, whithesoever the Spirit shall go, they go, they step not out of the way, that is, they depart not so much as a foot breadth from the path commanded them of God.
- Revelation 7:1 On the four quarters or coasts of the earth.
- Revelation 7:1 That is, neither into the air, into which the tops of trees are advanced.
- Revelation 7:2 Now God provideth against the danger of his elect by commandment, verses 2 and 3, and by sign or figure, both for those of the nation of the Jews, thence unto verse 8, and also of the Gentiles, verse 9.
- Revelation 7:2 Not only another, or differing in number from the common Angels of God, but also in essence, office, and operation excelling all Angels: that is, Christ Jesus the eternal Angel or word of God, and mediator of the covenant. So hereafter Rev. 8:3 and 10:1, 5.
New International Version
7 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners(A) of the earth, holding back the four winds(B) of the earth to prevent(C) any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal(D) of the living God.(E) He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea:(F)Read full chapter