New English Translation
14 The[a] armies that are in heaven, dressed in white, clean, fine linen,[b] were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth extends a sharp sword, so that with it he can strike the nations.[c] He[d] will rule[e] them with an iron rod,[f] and he stomps the winepress[g] of the furious[h] wrath of God, the All-Powerful.[i] 16 He has a name written on his clothing and on his thigh: “King of kings and Lord of lords.”Read full chapter
- Revelation 19:14 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 19:14 tn On the term translated “fine linen,” BDAG 185 s.v. βύσσινος states, “made of fine linen, subst. τὸ β. fine linen, linen garment…Rv 18:12, 16; 19:8, 14.”
- Revelation 19:15 tn Or “the Gentiles” (the same Greek word may be translated “Gentiles” or “nations”).
- Revelation 19:15 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 19:15 tn Grk “will shepherd.”
- Revelation 19:15 tn Or “scepter.” The Greek term ῥάβδος (rhabdos) can mean either “rod” or “scepter.” sn A quotation from Ps 2:9 (see also Rev 2:27; 12:5).
- Revelation 19:15 sn He stomps the winepress. See Isa 63:3, where Messiah does this alone (usually several individuals would join in the process), and Rev 14:20.
- Revelation 19:15 tn The genitive θυμοῦ (thumou) has been translated as an attributed genitive. Following BDAG 461 s.v. θυμός 2, the combination of the genitives of θυμός (thumos) and ὀργή (orgē) in Rev 16:19 and 19:15 are taken to be a strengthening of the thought as in the OT and Qumran literature (Exod 32:12; Jer 32:37; Lam 2:3; CD 10:9).
- Revelation 19:15 tn On this word BDAG 755 s.v. παντοκράτωρ states, “the Almighty, All-Powerful, Omnipotent (One) only of God…(ὁ) κύριος ὁ θεὸς ὁ π.…Rv 1:8; 4:8; 11:17; 15:3; 16:7; 21:22.”