Disciples’ Literal New Testament
Heaven Rejoices Over God’s Judgment
19 After these things I heard something like a loud voice of a great multitude in heaven[a] of ones saying “Hallelujah— the salvation and the glory and the power of [b] our God! 2 Because His judgments are true and righteous. Because He judged the great prostitute who corrupted[c] the earth with her sexual-immorality, and He avenged the blood of His slaves from her hand”. 3 And a second time they have said, “Hallelujah! And her smoke goes up forever and ever”. 4 And the twenty four elders and the four living-creatures fell and gave-worship to God, the One sitting on the throne, saying “Amen. Hallelujah!”
Heaven Rejoices Over The Wedding of The Lamb
5 And a voice came out from the throne, saying “Give-praise[d] to our God, all His slaves, and[e] the ones fearing Him— the small and the great”. 6 And I heard something like the voice of a great multitude and like the sound of many waters and like the sound of strong thunders, saying “Hallelujah! Because the Lord our God, the Almighty, began[f] to reign. 7 Let us rejoice and be overjoyed, and give the glory to Him, because the wedding[g] of the Lamb came, and His wife prepared herself ”. 8 And[h] authority was given to her to[i] clothe herself with shining clean fine-linen. For the fine-linen is the righteous-acts of the saints. 9 And he[j] says to me, “Write— ‘Blessed are the ones having been called[k] to the banquet of the wedding of the Lamb’”.
These Words Are True Words of God
And he says to me, “These[l] words are true ones of God”. 10 And I fell in front of his feet to give-worship[m] to him. And he says to me “See that you not do it. I am a fellow-slave of you and your brothers— the ones holding the testimony of [n] Jesus. Give-worship to God. For the testimony of [o] Jesus is the spirit[p] of prophecy”.
Vision 5: Heaven Is Opened. The King of Kings Comes To Earth On a White Horse
11 And I saw heaven having been opened. And behold— there was a white horse, and the One sitting on it being called Faithful and True. And He judges and wages-war in righteousness. 12 And His eyes are like a flame of fire, and upon His head are many diadems[q]— He having a name having been written which no one knows except Himself, 13 and having clothed Himself with a garment having been dipped in blood[r]. And His name has been called “The Word of God”. 14 And the armies in heaven were following Him on white horses, the riders having been dressed-in white clean fine-linen. 15 And a sharp sword comes out of His mouth, in order that He may strike the nations with it. And He Himself will shepherd[s] them with an iron rod. And He Himself treads the winepress of the wine of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 And He has a name having been written on the garment and[t] on His thigh: “King of kings, and Lord of lords”.
An Angel Calls The Birds To Feast On Human Flesh
17 And I saw one angel standing in the sun, and he cried-out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds flying in mid-heaven, “Come, be gathered-together for the great banquet of God, 18 in order that you may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of commanders, and the flesh of powerful ones, and the flesh of horses and of the ones sitting on them, and the flesh of everyone— both free and slaves, both[u] small and great”.
The Beast And His Followers Are Conquered. The Birds Are Satisfied
19 And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies having been gathered-together to make[v] war against the One sitting on the horse, and against His army. 20 And the beast was seized, and with him the false-prophet having done the signs in his presence, by which he deceived the ones having received the mark of the beast, and the ones giving-worship to his image. While living, the two were thrown into the lake of fire burning with sulphur. 21 And the rest were killed with the sword of the One sitting on the horse, the sword having come-out of His mouth. And all the birds were filled-to-satisfaction from their flesh.
- Revelation 19:1 John’s perspective changes from earth (17:3-18:24) back to heaven, where he hears heaven’s response to the events in 16:17-21.
- Revelation 19:1 Or, belonging to, belongs to. Or, of our God came, as in 12:10.
- Revelation 19:2 Or, was corrupting.
- Revelation 19:5 Note that verses 6 and 7 come in response to this command. Or, this command may be in response to v 4, concluding that paragraph; verse 6 then beginning a second thing John ‘heard’ (v 1).
- Revelation 19:5 Or, even.
- Revelation 19:6 Or, reigned, became king, as also in 11:17.
- Revelation 19:7 Or, wedding-celebration.
- Revelation 19:8 The preceding quotation may extend to ‘fine-linen’ or ‘saints’ in this verse.
- Revelation 19:8 Or, that she might.
- Revelation 19:9 That is, the angel who has been guiding John since 17:1; or, the voice in 19:5, who is now with John in person.
- Revelation 19:9 Or, summoned, invited.
- Revelation 19:9 That is, all that this angel has been a part of since 17:1; or, the words in verse 9 in particular.
- Revelation 19:10 John takes the preceding declaration to mean God is directly speaking to him.
- Revelation 19:10 That is, given by; or, about.
- Revelation 19:10 That is, given by.
- Revelation 19:10 Or, breath. That is, the testimony given by Jesus is the inspiration producing what the prophets speak.
- Revelation 19:12 That is, royal crowns.
- Revelation 19:13 The blood could be Christ’s own (at the Cross), that of the martyrs, or that of His enemies.
- Revelation 19:15 That is, rule. He will herd this flock to its destiny in a way that permits no opposition or deviation.
- Revelation 19:16 Or, even.
- Revelation 19:18 Or, and.
- Revelation 19:19 Or, make the war; that is, the one previously mentioned in 16:14, 16; 17:14.
New International Version
Threefold Hallelujah Over Babylon’s Fall
19 After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude(A) in heaven shouting:
Salvation(C) and glory and power(D) belong to our God,
2 for true and just are his judgments.(E)
He has condemned the great prostitute(F)
who corrupted the earth by her adulteries.
He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”(G)
3 And again they shouted:
5 Then a voice came from the throne, saying:
For our Lord God Almighty(S) reigns.(T)
7 Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!(U)
For the wedding of the Lamb(V) has come,
and his bride(W) has made herself ready.
8 Fine linen,(X) bright and clean,
was given her to wear.”
(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts(Y) of God’s holy people.)
10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him.(AD) But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!(AE) For it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus.”(AF)
The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast
11 I saw heaven standing open(AG) and there before me was a white horse, whose rider(AH) is called Faithful and True.(AI) With justice he judges and wages war.(AJ) 12 His eyes are like blazing fire,(AK) and on his head are many crowns.(AL) He has a name written on him(AM) that no one knows but he himself.(AN) 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood,(AO) and his name is the Word of God.(AP) 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen,(AQ) white(AR) and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword(AS) with which to strike down(AT) the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a](AU) He treads the winepress(AV) of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:(AW)
king of kings and lord of lords.(AX)
17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds(AY) flying in midair,(AZ) “Come,(BA) gather together for the great supper of God,(BB) 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people,(BC) free and slave,(BD) great and small.”(BE)
19 Then I saw the beast(BF) and the kings of the earth(BG) and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse(BH) and his army. 20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet(BI) who had performed the signs(BJ) on its behalf.(BK) With these signs he had deluded(BL) those who had received the mark of the beast(BM) and worshiped its image.(BN) The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake(BO) of burning sulfur.(BP) 21 The rest were killed with the sword(BQ) coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse,(BR) and all the birds(BS) gorged themselves on their flesh.
- Revelation 19:15 Psalm 2:9