New English Translation
11 Then[a] I saw another beast[b] coming up from the earth. He[c] had two horns like a lamb,[d] but[e] was speaking like a dragon. 12 He[f] exercised all the ruling authority[g] of the first beast on his behalf,[h] and made the earth and those who inhabit it worship the first beast, the one whose lethal wound had been healed. 13 He[i] performed momentous signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in front of people[j]Read full chapter
- Revelation 13:11 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “then” to indicate the implied sequence within the narrative.
- Revelation 13:11 sn This second beast is identified in Rev 16:13 as “the false prophet.”
- Revelation 13:11 tn Grk “and it had,” a continuation of the preceding sentence. On the use of the pronoun “he” to refer to the second beast, see the note on the word “It” in 13:1.
- Revelation 13:11 tn Or perhaps, “like a ram.” Here L&N 4.25 states, “In the one context in the NT, namely, Re 13:11, in which ἀρνίον refers literally to a sheep, it is used in a phrase referring to the horns of an ἀρνίον. In such a context the reference is undoubtedly to a ‘ram,’ that is to say, the adult male of sheep.” In spite of this most translations render the word “lamb” here to maintain the connection between this false lamb and the true Lamb of the Book of Revelation, Jesus Christ.
- Revelation 13:11 tn Here καί (kai) has been translated as “but” to indicate the contrast present in this context.
- Revelation 13:12 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 13:12 tn For the translation “ruling authority” for ἐξουσία (exousia) see L&N 37.35.
- Revelation 13:12 tn For this meaning see BDAG 342 s.v. ἐνώπιον 4.b, “by the authority of, on behalf of Rv 13:12, 14; 19:20.”
- Revelation 13:13 tn Here καί (kai) has not been translated because of differences between Greek and English style.
- Revelation 13:13 tn This is a generic use of ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos), referring to both men and women.
New International Version
The Beast out of the Earth
11 Then I saw a second beast, coming out of the earth.(A) It had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon.(B) 12 It exercised all the authority(C) of the first beast on its behalf,(D) and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast,(E) whose fatal wound had been healed.(F) 13 And it performed great signs,(G) even causing fire to come down from heaven(H) to the earth in full view of the people.