1599 Geneva Bible
33 1 He exhorteth good men to praise God, for that he hath not only created all things, and by his providence governeth the same, but also is faithful in his promises, 10 he understandeth man’s heart, and scattereth the counsel of the wicked, 16 so that no man can be preserved by any creature or man’s strength: by they, that put their confidence in his mercy, shall be preserved from all adversities.
1 Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous: for it [a]becometh upright men to be thankful.
2 Praise the Lord with harp: sing unto him with viol and [b]instrument of ten strings.
3 Sing unto him a new song: sing cheerfully with a loud voice.
5 He [e]loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
6 By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
7 He [f]gathereth the waters of the sea together as upon an heap, and layeth up the depths in his treasures.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all them that dwell in the world, fear him.
9 For he spake, and it was done: he commanded, and it [g]stood.
10 The Lord breaketh the [h]counsel of the heathen, and bringeth to nought the devices of the people.
11 The counsel of the Lord shall stand forever, and the thoughts of his heart throughout all ages.
12 Blessed is that nation, whose [i]God is the Lord: even the people that he hath chosen for his inheritance.
13 The Lord [j]looketh down from heaven, and beholdeth all the children of men.
14 From the habitation of his dwelling, he beholdeth all them that dwell in the earth.
15 He [k]fashioneth their hearts every one, and understandeth all their works.
16 The [l]King is not saved by the multitude of an host, neither is the mighty man delivered by great strength.
17 A horse is a vain help, and shall not deliver any by his great strength.
18 Behold, [m]the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, and upon them that trust in his mercy,
19 To deliver their souls from death, and to preserve them in famine.
20 [n]Our soul waiteth for the Lord: for he is our help and our shield.
21 Surely our heart shall rejoice in him, because we trusted in his holy Name.
22 Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, as we trusted in thee.
- Psalm 33:1 It is the duty of the godly to set forth the praises of God for his mercy and power showed toward them.
- Psalm 33:2 To sing on instruments, was a part of the ceremonial service of the Temple, which doth no more appertain unto us, than the sacrifices, censings, and lights.
- Psalm 33:4 That is, counsel or commandment in governing the world.
- Psalm 33:4 That is, the effect and execution.
- Psalm 33:5 Howsoever the world judgeth of God’s works, yet he doeth all things according to justice and mercy.
- Psalm 33:7 By the creation of the heavens and beautiful ornament with the gathering also of the waters, he setteth forth the power of God, that all creatures might fear him.
- Psalm 33:9 Or, was created.
- Psalm 33:10 No counsel can prevail against God, but he defeateth it, and it shall have evil success.
- Psalm 33:12 He showeth that all our felicity standeth in this, that the Lord is our God.
- Psalm 33:13 He proveth, that all things are governed by God’s providence and not by fortune.
- Psalm 33:15 Therefore he knoweth their wicked enterprises.
- Psalm 33:16 If kings and the mighty of the world cannot be saved by worldly means, but only by God’s providence, what have others to trust in, that have not like means?
- Psalm 33:18 God showeth that toward his of his mercy, which man by no means is able to compass.
- Psalm 33:20 Thus he speaketh in the name of the whole Church, which only depend on God’s providence.
New International Version
1 Sing joyfully(A) to the Lord, you righteous;
it is fitting(B) for the upright(C) to praise him.
2 Praise the Lord with the harp;(D)
make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.(E)
3 Sing to him a new song;(F)
play skillfully, and shout for joy.(G)
6 By the word(M) of the Lord the heavens were made,(N)
their starry host(O) by the breath of his mouth.
7 He gathers the waters(P) of the sea into jars[a];(Q)
he puts the deep into storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;(R)
let all the people of the world(S) revere him.(T)
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded,(U) and it stood firm.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,(AA)
the people he chose(AB) for his inheritance.(AC)
13 From heaven the Lord looks down(AD)
and sees all mankind;(AE)
14 from his dwelling place(AF) he watches
all who live on earth—
15 he who forms(AG) the hearts of all,
who considers everything they do.(AH)
16 No king is saved by the size of his army;(AI)
no warrior escapes by his great strength.
17 A horse(AJ) is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
18 But the eyes(AK) of the Lord are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,(AL)
19 to deliver them from death(AM)
and keep them alive in famine.(AN)
20 We wait(AO) in hope for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
21 In him our hearts rejoice,(AP)
for we trust in his holy name.(AQ)
22 May your unfailing love(AR) be with us, Lord,
even as we put our hope in you.
- Psalm 33:7 Or sea as into a heap