1599 Geneva Bible
25 1 The Prophet touched with the consideration of his sins, and also grieved with the cruel malice of his enemies, 6 Prayeth to God most fervently to have his sins forgiven. 7 Especially such as he had committed in his youth. He beginneth every verse according to the Hebrew letters, two or three except.
A Psalm of David.
1 Unto thee, [a]O Lord, lift I up my soul.
2 My God, I [b]trust in thee; let me not be confounded: let not mine enemies rejoice over me.
3 (A)So all that hope in thee, shall not be ashamed; but let them be confounded, that transgress without cause.
4 [c]Show me thy ways, O Lord, and teach me thy paths.
5 Lead me forth in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation: in thee do I trust [d]all the day.
6 Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies, and thy lovingkindness: for they have been forever.
7 Remember not the [e]sins of my youth, nor my rebellions, but according to thy kindness remember thou me, even for thy goodness sake, O Lord.
8 Gracious and righteous is the Lord: therefore will he [f]teach sinners in the way.
9 Them that be meek, will he [g]guide in judgment, and teach the humble his way.
10 All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies:
11 For thy [h]Name’s sake, O Lord, be merciful unto mine iniquity, for it is great.
13 His soul shall dwell at [k]ease, and his seed shall inherit the land.
14 The [l]secret of the Lord is revealed to them that fear him: and his Covenant to give them understanding.
15 Mine eyes are ever toward the Lord: for he will bring my feet out of the net.
16 Turn thy face unto me, and have mercy upon me: for I am desolate and poor.
17 The sorrows of mine heart [m]are enlarged: draw me out of my troubles.
18 Look upon mine affliction and my travail, and forgive all my sins.
19 Behold mine [n]enemies, for they are many, and they hate me with cruel hatred.
20 Keep my soul and deliver me: let me not be confounded: for I trust in thee.
21 Let [o]mine uprightness and equity preserve me; for mine hope is in thee.
22 Deliver Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.
- Psalm 25:1 I put not my trust in any worldly thing.
- Psalm 25:2 That thou wilt take away mine enemies, which are thy rods.
- Psalm 25:4 Retain me in the faith of thy promise, that I swerve not on any side.
- Psalm 25:5 Constantly, and against all tentations.
- Psalm 25:7 He confesseth that his manifold sins were the cause that his enemies did thus persecute him, desiring that the cause of the evil may be taken away, to the intent that the effect may cease.
- Psalm 25:8 That is, call them to repentance.
- Psalm 25:9 He will govern and comfort them that are truly humbled for their sins.
- Psalm 25:11 And for none other respect.
- Psalm 25:12 Meaning, the number is very small.
- Psalm 25:12 He will direct such with his spirit to follow the right way.
- Psalm 25:13 He shall prosper both in spiritual and corporal things.
- Psalm 25:14 His counsel contained in his word, whereby he declareth that he is the protector of the faithful.
- Psalm 25:17 My grief is increased because of mine enemies’ cruelty.
- Psalm 25:19 The greater that his afflictions were and the more that his enemies increased, the more near felt he God’s help.
- Psalm 25:21 Forasmuch as I have behaved myself uprightly toward mine enemies, let them know that thou art the defender of my just cause.