1599 Geneva Bible
140 1 David complaineth of the cruelty, falsehood and injuries of his enemies. 8 Against the which he prayeth unto the Lord, and assureth himself of his help and succor. 12 Wherefore he provoketh the just to praise the Lord, and to assure themselves of his tuition.
To him that excelleth. A Psalm of David.
1 Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the [a]cruel man:
2 Which imagine evil things in their [b]heart, and make war continually.
3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent: [c]adders’ poison is under their lips. Selah.
4 Keep [d]me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the cruel man, which purposeth to cause my steps to slide.
5 The proud have laid a snare for me, and spread a net with cords in my pathway, and set gins for me. Selah.
6 Therefore I said unto the Lord, Thou art my God: hear, O Lord, the voice of my prayers.
7 O Lord God the strength of my salvation, thou [e]hast covered my head in the day of battle.
8 Let not the wicked have his desire, O Lord; [f]perform not his wicked thought, lest they be proud. Selah.
9 As for [g]the chief of them that compass me about, let the mischief of their own lips come upon them.
10 Let coals fall upon them: let [h]him cast them into the fire, and into the deep pits that they rise not.
11 For the backbiter shall not be established upon the earth, evil shall [i]hunt the cruel man to destruction.
12 I know that the Lord will avenge the afflicted, and judge the poor.
13 Surely the righteous shall praise thy Name, and the just shall [j]dwell in thy presence.
- Psalm 140:1 Which persecuteth me of malice and without cause.
- Psalm 140:2 That is, by their false cavillations and lies they kindle the hatred of the wicked against me.
- Psalm 140:3 He showeth what weapons the wicked use, when power and force fail them.
- Psalm 140:4 He declareth what is the remedy of the godly, when they are oppressed by the worldlings.
- Psalm 140:7 He calleth to God with lively faith, being assured of his mercies, because he had before time proved, that God helped him ever in his dangers.
- Psalm 140:8 For it is in God’s hand to overthrow the counsels and enterprises of the wicked.
- Psalm 140:9 It seemeth that he alludeth to Saul.
- Psalm 140:10 To wit, God: for David saw that they were reprobate, and that there was no hope of repentance in them.
- Psalm 140:11 God’s plagues shall light upon him in such sort, that he shall not escape.
- Psalm 140:13 That is, shall be defended and preserved by thy fatherly providence and care.