Lexham English Bible
God Commands Justice
A psalm of Asaph.[a]
82 God stands in the divine assembly;[b]
he administers judgment in the midst of the gods.[c]
2 “How long will you judge unjustly
and show favoritism to the wicked?[d] Selah
3 Judge on behalf of the helpless and the orphan;
provide justice to the afflicted and the poor.
4 Rescue the helpless and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5 They do not know or consider.[e]
They go about in the darkness,
so that all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6 I have said,[f] “You are gods,
and sons of the Most High, all of you.
7 However, you will die like men,[g]
and you will fall like one of the princes.”
8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth,
because you shall inherit[h] all the nations.
- Psalm 82:1 The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm
- Psalm 82:1 Or “assembly of El ”
- Psalm 82:1 Hebrew elohim
- Psalm 82:2 Literally “lift up the faces of the wicked”
- Psalm 82:5 Or “understand”
- Psalm 82:6 Hebrew “I, I have said”
- Psalm 82:7 Singular
- Psalm 82:8 Or “receive an inheritance”