New English Translation
9 Before him the coastlands[a] will bow down,
and his enemies will lick the dust.[b]
10 The kings of Tarshish[c] and the coastlands will offer gifts;
the kings of Sheba[d] and Seba[e] will bring tribute.
11 All kings will bow down to him;
all nations will serve him.
- Psalm 72:9 tn Or “islands.” The term here refers metonymically to those people who dwell in these regions.
- Psalm 72:9 sn As they bow down before him, it will appear that his enemies are licking the dust.
- Psalm 72:10 sn Tarshish was a distant western port, the precise location of which is uncertain.
- Psalm 72:10 sn Sheba was located in Arabia.
- Psalm 72:10 sn Seba was located in Africa.