New English Translation
4 Look, God is my deliverer.[a]
The Lord is among those who support me.[b]
5 May those who wait to ambush me[c] be repaid for their evil.[d]
As a demonstration of your faithfulness,[e] destroy them.
6 With a freewill offering I will sacrifice[f] to you.
I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
- Psalm 54:4 tn Or “my helper.”
- Psalm 54:4 tn Or “sustain my life.”
- Psalm 54:5 tn Heb “to those who watch me [with evil intent].” See also Pss 5:8; 27:11; 56:2.
- Psalm 54:5 tn The Kethib (consonantal text) reads a Qal imperfect, “the evil will return,” while the Qere (marginal reading) has a Hiphil imperfect, “he will repay.” The parallel line has an imperative (indicating a prayer/request), so it is best to read a jussive form יָשֹׁב (yashov, “let it [the evil] return”) here.
- Psalm 54:5 tn Heb “in [or “by”] your faithfulness.”
- Psalm 54:6 tn The cohortative verbal form expresses the psalmist’s resolve/vow to praise.