New English Translation
13 You made us[a] an object of disdain to our neighbors;
those who live on our borders taunt and insult us.[b]
14 You made us[c] an object of ridicule[d] among the nations;
foreigners treat us with contempt.[e]
15 All day long I feel humiliated[f]
and am overwhelmed with shame,[g]
- Psalm 44:13 tn The prefixed verbal form is a preterite (without vav [ו] consecutive).
- Psalm 44:13 tn Heb “an [object of] taunting and [of] mockery to those around us.”
- Psalm 44:14 tn The prefixed verbal form is a preterite (without vav [ו] consecutive).
- Psalm 44:14 tn Heb “a proverb,” or “[the subject of] a mocking song.”
- Psalm 44:14 tn Heb “a shaking of the head among the peoples.” Shaking the head was a derisive gesture (see Jer 18:16; Lam 2:15).
- Psalm 44:15 tn Heb “all the day my humiliation [is] in front of me.”
- Psalm 44:15 tn Heb “and the shame of my face covers me.”