New English Translation
18 Then I will give you thanks in the great assembly;[a]
I will praise you before a large crowd of people.[b]
19 Do not let those who are my enemies for no reason[c] gloat[d] over me.
Do not let those who hate me without cause carry out their wicked schemes.[e]
20 For they do not try to make peace with others,[f]
but plan ways to deceive those who live peacefully in the land.[g]
- Psalm 35:18 sn The great assembly is also mentioned in Ps 22:25.
- Psalm 35:18 tn Heb “among numerous people.”
- Psalm 35:19 tn Heb “[with] a lie.” The Hebrew noun שֶׁקֶר (sheqer, “lie”) is used here as an adverb, “falsely, wrongfully” (see Ps 38:19).
- Psalm 35:19 tn Heb “rejoice.”
- Psalm 35:19 tn Heb “[do not let] those who hate me without cause pinch [i.e., wink] an eye.” The negative particle is understood in the second line by ellipsis (see the preceding line). In the Book of Proverbs “winking an eye” is associated with deceit and trickery (see 6:13; 10:10; 16:30).
- Psalm 35:20 tn Heb “for they do not speak peace.”
- Psalm 35:20 tn Heb “but against the quiet ones of the land words of deceit they plan.” The imperfect verbal forms in v. 20 highlight their characteristic behavior.