1599 Geneva Bible
29 1 The Prophet exhorteth the princes and rulers of the world (which for the most part think there is no God.) 3 At the least to fear him for the thunders and tempests, for fear whereof all creatures tremble. 11 And though thereby God threateneth sinners, yet he is always merciful to his, and moveth them thereby to praise his Name.
A Psalm of David.
1 Give unto the Lord, ye [a]sons of the mighty, give unto the Lord glory and strength.
2 Give unto the Lord glory due unto his Name: worship the Lord in the glorious Sanctuary.
3 The [b]voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory maketh it to thunder: the Lord is upon the great waters.
4 The voice of the Lord is mighty: the voice of the Lord is glorious.
5 The [c]voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars: yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to leap like a calf: Lebanon also and [d]Shirion like a young unicorn.
7 The voice of the Lord divideth the [e]flames of fire.
8 The voice of the Lord maketh the wilderness to tremble: the Lord maketh the wilderness of [f]Kadesh to tremble.
10 The Lord sitteth upon the [j]floods, and the Lord doth remain King forever.
11 The Lord shall give strength unto his people: the Lord shall bless his people with peace.
- Psalm 29:1 He exhorteth the proud tyrants to humble themselves under God’s hand, and not to be inferior to brute beasts and dumb creatures.
- Psalm 29:3 The thunder claps that are heard out of the clouds, ought to make the wicked to tremble for fear of God’s anger.
- Psalm 29:5 That is, the thunderbolt breaketh the most strong trees, and shall men think their power to be able to resist God?
- Psalm 29:6 Called also Hermon.
- Psalm 29:7 It causeth the lightnings to shoot and glide.
- Psalm 29:8 In places most desolate, whereas seemeth there is no presence of God.
- Psalm 29:9 For fear maketh them to cast their calves.
- Psalm 29:9 Maketh the trees bare, or pierceth the most secret places.
- Psalm 29:9 Though the wicked are nothing moved with these lights, yet the faithful praise God.
- Psalm 29:10 To moderate the rage of the tempest and waters, that they destroy not all.