1599 Geneva Bible
27 1 David maketh this Psalm being delivered from great perils, as appeareth by the praises and thanksgiving annexed: 6 Wherein we may see the constant faith of David against the assaults of all his enemies. 7 And also the end wherefore he desireth to live and to be delivered, only to worship God in his Congregation.
A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my [a]light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
3 Though an host pitched against me, mine heart should not be afraid: though war be raised against me, I will trust in [b]this.
4 [c]One thing have I desired of the Lord, that I will require, even that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to visit his Temple.
5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his Tabernacle: in the secret place of his pavilion shall he hide me, and set me up upon a rock.
6 [d]And now shall he lift up mine head above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his Tabernacle sacrifices of joy: I will sing and praise the Lord.
7 Hearken unto my voice, O Lord, when I cry: have mercy also upon me and hear me.
8 When thou saidest, [e]Seek ye my face, mine heart answered unto thee, O Lord, I will seek thy face.
9 Hide not therefore thy face from me, nor cast thy servant away in displeasure: thou hast been my succor, leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
10 [f]Though my father and my mother should forsake me, yet the Lord will gather me up.
11 Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a right path, because of mine enemies.
12 Give me not unto the [g]lust of mine adversaries: for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak cruelly.
13 I should have fainted, except I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord [h]in the land of the living.
14 [i]Hope in the Lord: be strong, and he shall comfort thine heart, and trust in the Lord.
- Psalm 27:1 Because he was assured of good success in all his dangers, and that his salvation was surely laid up in God, he feared not the tyranny of his enemies.
- Psalm 27:3 That God will deliver me and give my faith the victory.
- Psalm 27:4 The loss of country, wife, and all worldly commodities grieve me not in respect of this one thing, that I may not praise thy Name in the midst of the congregation.
- Psalm 27:6 David assured himself by the Spirit of prophecy that he should overcome his enemies, and serve God in his Tabernacle.
- Psalm 27:8 He groundeth upon God’s promise, and showeth that he is most willing to obey his commandment.
- Psalm 27:10 He magnifieth God’s love toward his, which far passeth the most tender love of parents towards their children.
- Psalm 27:12 But either pacify their wrath, or bridle their rage.
- Psalm 27:13 In this present life before I die, as Isa. 38:11.
- Psalm 27:14 He exhorteth himself to depend on the Lord, seeing he never failed in his promises.
New International Version
2 When the wicked advance against me
to devour[a] me,
it is my enemies and my foes
who will stumble and fall.(E)
3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;(F)
though war break out against me,
even then I will be confident.(G)
4 One thing(H) I ask from the Lord,
this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,(I)
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble(J)
he will keep me safe(K) in his dwelling;
he will hide me(L) in the shelter of his sacred tent
and set me high upon a rock.(M)
7 Hear my voice(T) when I call, Lord;
be merciful to me and answer me.(U)
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!(V)”
Your face, Lord, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face(W) from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;(X)
you have been my helper.(Y)
Do not reject me or forsake(Z) me,
God my Savior.(AA)
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will receive me.
11 Teach me your way,(AB) Lord;
lead me in a straight path(AC)
because of my oppressors.(AD)
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses(AE) rise up against me,
spouting malicious accusations.
- Psalm 27:2 Or slander