New English Translation
7 Remember, O Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.[a]
They said, “Tear it down, tear it down,[b]
right to its very foundation!”
8 O daughter Babylon, soon to be devastated,[c]
how blessed will be the one who repays you
for what you dished out to us.[d]
9 How blessed will be the one who grabs your babies
and smashes them on a rock.[e]
- Psalm 137:7 tn Heb “remember, O Lord, against the sons of Edom, the day of Jerusalem.”
- Psalm 137:7 tn Heb “lay [it] bare, lay [it] bare.”
- Psalm 137:8 tn Heb “O devastated daughter of Babylon.” The psalmist dramatically anticipates Babylon’s demise.
- Psalm 137:8 tn Heb “O the happiness of the one who repays you your wage which you paid to us.”
- Psalm 137:9 sn For other references to the wholesale slaughter of babies in the context of ancient Near Eastern warfare, see 2 Kgs 8:12; Isa 13:16; Hos 13:16; Nah 3:10.