New American Standard Bible
Supplication for Deliverance and Grateful Trust in God.
For the choir director; according to [a]Jonath elem rehokim. A [b]Mikhtam of David, [c]when the Philistines seized him in Gath.
56 Be gracious to me, O God, for man has [d](A)trampled upon me;
[e]Fighting all day long he (B)oppresses me.
2 My foes have [f](C)trampled upon me all day long,
For [g]they are many who (D)fight proudly against me.
3 [h]When I am (E)afraid,
[i]I will (F)put my trust in You.
4 (G)In God, whose word I praise,
In God I have put my trust;
I shall not be afraid.
(H)What can mere [j]man do to me?
5 All day long they [k](I)distort my words;
All their [l](J)thoughts are against me for evil.
6 They [m](K)attack, they lurk,
They (L)watch my [n]steps,
As they have (M)waited to take my [o]life.
7 Because of wickedness, [p](N)cast them forth,
In anger (O)put down the peoples, O God!
8 You (P)have taken account of my wanderings;
Put my (Q)tears in Your bottle.
Are they not in (R)Your book?
9 Then my enemies will (S)turn back (T)in the day when I call;
This I know, [q]that (U)God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
In the Lord, whose word I praise,
11 In God I have put my [r]trust, I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
12 Your (V)vows are binding upon me, O God;
I will render thank offerings to You.
13 For You have (W)delivered my soul from death,
[s]Indeed (X)my feet from stumbling,
So that I may (Y)walk before God
In the (Z)light of the [t]living.
- Psalm 56:1 Or The silent dove of those who are far off, or, The dove of the distant terebinths
- Psalm 56:1 Possibly Epigrammatic Poem, or Atonement Psalm
- Psalm 56:1 1 Sam 21:10, 11
- Psalm 56:1 Or snapped at
- Psalm 56:1 Or A fighting man
- Psalm 56:2 Or snapped at
- Psalm 56:2 Or many are fighting
- Psalm 56:3 Lit In the day
- Psalm 56:3 Or I am one who puts
- Psalm 56:4 Lit flesh
- Psalm 56:5 Or trouble my affairs
- Psalm 56:5 Or purposes
- Psalm 56:6 Or stir up strife
- Psalm 56:6 Lit heels
- Psalm 56:6 Lit soul
- Psalm 56:7 Or will they have escape?
- Psalm 56:9 Or because
- Psalm 56:11 Or trust without fear
- Psalm 56:13 Or have You not delivered
- Psalm 56:13 Or life