New American Standard Bible
Prayer for Defense against Enemies.
For the choir director; on stringed instruments. A [a]Maskil of David, [b]when the Ziphites came and said to Saul, “Is not David hiding himself among us?”
54 Save me, O God, by (A)Your name,
And [c]vindicate me by (B)Your power.
2 (C)Hear my prayer, O God;
(D)Give ear to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have (E)risen against me
And (F)violent men have (G)sought my [d]life;
They have (H)not set God before them. [e]Selah.
6 [k](N)Willingly I will sacrifice to You;
I will give (O)thanks to Your name, O Lord, for it is good.
7 For [l]He has (P)delivered me from all [m]trouble,
And my eye has (Q)looked with satisfaction upon my enemies.
- Psalm 54:1 Possibly Contemplative, or Didactic, or Skillful Psalm
- Psalm 54:1 1 Sam 23:19; 26:1
- Psalm 54:1 Lit judge
- Psalm 54:3 Or soul
- Psalm 54:3 Selah may mean: Pause, Crescendo or Musical interlude
- Psalm 54:4 Lit as those who sustain
- Psalm 54:5 Lit The evil will return
- Psalm 54:5 Or those who lie in wait for me
- Psalm 54:5 Or Put to silence
- Psalm 54:5 Or truth
- Psalm 54:6 Or With a freewill offering
- Psalm 54:7 Or it; i.e. His name
- Psalm 54:7 Or distress