1599 Geneva Bible
19 1 Better (A)is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that abuseth his lips, and is a fool.
2 For without knowledge the mind is not good, and he that hasteth with his feet, sinneth.
3 The foolishness of a man perverteth his way, and his heart fretteth against the Lord.
4 Riches gather many friends: but the poor is separated from his neighbor.
5 (B)A false witness shall not be unpunished: and he that speaketh lies, shall not escape.
6 Many reverence the face of the prince, and every man is friend to him that giveth gifts.
7 All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more will his friends depart far from him? though he be instant [a]with words, yet they will not.
8 He that possesseth understanding, [b]loveth his own soul, and keepeth wisdom to find goodness.
9 A false witness shall not be unpunished: and he that speaketh lies, shall perish.
10 [c]Pleasure is not comely for a fool, much less for a servant to have rule over princes.
11 The discretion of man deferreth his anger: and his glory is [d]to pass by an offence.
12 (C)The king’s wrath is like the roaring of a lion: but his favor is like the dew upon the grass.
14 House and riches are the inheritance of the fathers: but a (F)prudent wife cometh of the Lord.
15 Slothfulness causeth to fall asleep, and a deceitful person shall be affamished.
16 He that keepeth the commandment, keepeth his own soul: but he that despiseth his ways, shall die.
17 He that hath mercy upon the poor, lendeth unto the Lord: and the Lord will recompense him that which he hath given.
18 Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his murmuring.
19 A man of much anger shall suffer punishment, and though thou [f]deliver him, yet will his anger come again.
20 Hear counsel and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
21 Many devices are in a [g]man’s heart: but the counsel of the Lord shall stand.
22 That that is to be desired of a man, is his [h]goodness, and a poor man is better than a liar.
23 The fear of the Lord leadeth to life: and he that is filled therewith, shall continue, and shall not be visited with evil.
24 (G)The slothful hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not put it to his mouth again.
26 He that destroyeth his father, or chaseth away his mother, is a lewd and shameful child.
27 My son, hear no more the instruction, that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.
28 A wicked witness mocketh at judgment, and the mouth of the wicked [j]swalloweth up iniquity.
29 But judgments are prepared for the scorners, and stripes for the back of the fools.
- Proverbs 19:7 To have comfort of them.
- Proverbs 19:8 He that is upright in judgment findeth favor of God.
- Proverbs 19:10 The free use of things are not to be permitted to him that cannot use them aright.
- Proverbs 19:11 That is, to cover it by charity, and to do therein as may most serve to God’s glory.
- Proverbs 19:13 As rain that droppeth and rotteth the house.
- Proverbs 19:19 Though for a time he give place to counsel, yet soon after will he give place to his raging affections.
- Proverbs 19:21 Man’s device shall not have success, except God govern it, whose purpose is unchangeable.
- Proverbs 19:22 That is, that he be honest: for the poor man that is honest, is to be esteemed above the rich which is not virtuous.
- Proverbs 19:25 That is, the simple and ignorant men learn, when they see the wicked punished.
- Proverbs 19:28 Taketh a pleasure and delight therein, as gluttons and drunkards in delicate meats and drinks.