1599 Geneva Bible
29 1 A man that hardeneth his neck when he is rebuked, shall suddenly be destroyed, and cannot be cured.
3 A man that loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father: but (B)he that feedeth harlots wasteth his substance.
4 A king by judgment maintaineth the country: but a man receiving gifts, destroyeth it.
5 A man that flattereth his neighbor, [b]spreadeth a net for his steps.
6 In the transgression of an evil man is his [c]snare: but the righteous doth sing and rejoice.
7 The righteous knoweth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not knowledge.
8 Scornful men bring a city into a snare: but wise men turn away wrath.
9 If a wise man contend with [d]a foolish man, whether he be angry or laugh, there is no rest.
10 Bloody men hate him that is upright: but the just have care of his soul.
11 A fool poureth out all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterward.
12 Of a prince that hearkeneth to lies, all his servants are wicked.
13 (C)The poor and the usurer meet together, and the Lord lightened both their eyes.
14 A (D)King that judgeth the poor in truth, his throne shall be established forever.
15 The rod and correction give wisdom, but a child set at liberty, maketh his mother ashamed.
16 When the wicked are increased, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.
17 Correct thy son, and he will give thee rest, and will give pleasures to thy soul.
18 [e]Where there is no vision, the people decay: but he that keepeth the law is blessed.
20 Seest thou a man hasty in his matters? there is more hope of a fool, than of him.
21 He that delicately bringeth up his servant from youth, at length he will be even as his son.
22 (E)An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
23 (F)The pride of a man shall bring him low: but the humble in spirit shall enjoy glory.
24 He that is partner with a thief, hateth his own soul: he heareth cursing and declareth it not.
25 The fear of man bringeth a [h]snare: but he that trusteth in the Lord shall be exalted.
26 Many do seek the face of the ruler: but every man’s [i]judgment cometh from the Lord.
27 A wicked man is abomination to the just, and he that is upright in his way, is abomination to the wicked.
- Proverbs 29:2 Or, are increased.
- Proverbs 29:5 He that giveth ear to the flatterer, is in danger as the bird is before the fowler.
- Proverbs 29:6 He is ever ready to fall into the snare that he layeth for others.
- Proverbs 29:9 He can hear no admonition in what sort soever it is spoken.
- Proverbs 29:18 Where there are not faithful ministers of the word of God.
- Proverbs 29:19 He that is of a servile and rebellious nature.
- Proverbs 29:19 Or, regard.
- Proverbs 29:25 He that feareth man more than God, falleth into a snare and is destroyed.
- Proverbs 29:26 He needeth not to flatter the ruler: for what God hath appointed, that shall come to him.