New American Standard Bible
13 One who (A)despises the word will do badly,
But one who fears the commandment will be (B)rewarded.
14 The [a]teaching of the wise is a (C)fountain of life,
To turn aside from the (D)snares of death.
15 (E)Good understanding produces favor,
But the way of the treacherous is [b]their own disaster.
16 Every (F)prudent person acts with knowledge,
But a fool [c]displays foolishness.
17 A wicked messenger falls into adversity,
But (G)a faithful messenger brings healing.
18 Poverty and shame will come to one who (H)neglects [d]discipline,
But one who complies with rebuke will be honored.
19 Desire realized is sweet to the soul,
But it is an abomination to fools to turn away from evil.
20 (I)One who walks with wise people will be wise,
But a companion of fools will suffer harm.
21 (J)Adversity pursues sinners,
But the (K)righteous will be rewarded with prosperity.
22 A good person (L)leaves an inheritance to his [e]grandchildren,
And the (M)wealth of a sinner is stored up for the righteous.
23 (N)Abundant food is in the uncultivated ground of the poor,
But [f]it is swept away by injustice.
24 He who (O)withholds his [g]rod hates his son,
But he who loves him [h](P)disciplines him diligently.
25 The (Q)righteous [i]has enough to satisfy his appetite,
But the stomach of the (R)wicked is in need.
- Proverbs 13:14 Or law
- Proverbs 13:15 Cf. LXX in destruction; MT constant
- Proverbs 13:16 Lit spreads out
- Proverbs 13:18 Or instruction
- Proverbs 13:22 Lit sons’ sons
- Proverbs 13:23 Lit there is what is swept
- Proverbs 13:24 I.e., correction or discipline
- Proverbs 13:24 Lit seeks him diligently with discipline
- Proverbs 13:25 Lit eats to the satisfaction of his soul