New English Translation
28 “Then, when they were at rest again, they went back to doing evil before you. Then you abandoned them to[a] their enemies, and they gained dominion over them. When they again cried out to you, in your compassion you heard from heaven and rescued them time and again. 29 And you solemnly admonished them in order to return them to your law, but they behaved presumptuously and did not obey your commandments. They sinned against your ordinances—those by which an individual, if he obeys them,[b] will live. They boldly turned from you;[c] they rebelled[d] and did not obey. 30 You prolonged your kindness[e] with them for many years, and you solemnly admonished them by your Spirit through your prophets. Still they paid no attention,[f] so you delivered them into the hands of the neighboring peoples.[g]Read full chapter
- Nehemiah 9:28 tn Heb “in the hand of” (so KJV, ASV); NAB “to the power of.”
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “if a man keep.” See note on the word “obey” in Neh 1:5.
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “they gave a stubborn shoulder.”
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “they stiffened their neck.”
- Nehemiah 9:30 tn The Hebrew expression here is elliptical. The words “your kindness” are not included in the Hebrew text, but have been supplied in the translation for clarity.
- Nehemiah 9:30 tn Heb “did not give ear to.”
- Nehemiah 9:30 tn Heb “the peoples of the lands.”