New English Translation
27 Therefore you delivered them into the hand of their adversaries, who oppressed them. But in the time of their distress they called to you, and you heard from heaven. In your abundant compassion you provided them with deliverers to rescue them from[a] their adversaries.
28 “Then, when they were at rest again, they went back to doing evil before you. Then you abandoned them to[b] their enemies, and they gained dominion over them. When they again cried out to you, in your compassion you heard from heaven and rescued them time and again. 29 And you solemnly admonished them in order to return them to your law, but they behaved presumptuously and did not obey your commandments. They sinned against your ordinances—those by which an individual, if he obeys them,[c] will live. They boldly turned from you;[d] they rebelled[e] and did not obey.Read full chapter
- Nehemiah 9:27 tn Heb “from the hand of” (so NASB, NIV); NAB “from the power of.”
- Nehemiah 9:28 tn Heb “in the hand of” (so KJV, ASV); NAB “to the power of.”
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “if a man keep.” See note on the word “obey” in Neh 1:5.
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “they gave a stubborn shoulder.”
- Nehemiah 9:29 tn Heb “they stiffened their neck.”