New English Translation
Land Robbers Will Lose Their Land
2 Beware wicked schemers,[a]
those who devise calamity as they lie in bed.[b]
As soon as morning dawns they carry out their plans,[c]
because they have the power to do so.
2 They confiscate the fields they desire
and seize the houses they want.[d]
They defraud people of their homes[e]
and deprive people of the land they have inherited.[f]
3 Therefore the Lord says this:
- Micah 2:1 tn Heb “those who think up evil.”
- Micah 2:1 tn Heb “upon their beds.”
- Micah 2:1 tn Heb “at the light of morning they do it.”
- Micah 2:2 tn Heb “they desire fields and rob [them], and houses and take [them] away.”
- Micah 2:2 tn Heb “and they oppress a man and his home.”
- Micah 2:2 tn Heb “and a man and his inheritance.” The verb עָשַׁק (ʿashaq, “to oppress”; “to wrong”) does double duty in the parallel structure and is understood by ellipsis in the second line.
- Micah 2:3 tn Heb “clan” or “extended family.”
- Micah 2:3 tn Heb “from which you will not remove your neck.” The words “It will be like a yoke” are supplied in the translation for clarification.
- Micah 2:3 tn Or “you will not.”