14 So you must give goodbye gifts
to Moresheth[a] in Gath.
The houses in Aczib[b] will trick
the kings of Israel.
15 You people who live in Mareshah,[c]
I will bring someone against you who will take the things you own.
The Glory of Israel
will come into Adullam.[d]
16 So cut off your hair, make yourself bald,[e]
because you will cry for the children you love.
Make yourself bald like an eagle[f] and show your sadness,
because your children will be taken away from you.
- Micah 1:14 Moresheth Micah’s hometown.
- Micah 1:14 Aczib This name means “lie” or “trick.”
- Micah 1:15 Mareshah The name means “a person who takes things.”
- Micah 1:15 Adullam A cave that David hid in when he ran away from Saul. See 1 Sam. 22:1.
- Micah 1:16 cut … bald This showed that a person made a special agreement with God or that a person was very sad.
- Micah 1:16 eagle Or “vulture.” See “vulture” in the Word List.