New American Standard Bible
5 “And when you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to (A)stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners (B)so that they [a]will be seen by people. (C)Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6 But as for you, when you pray, (D)go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret; and (E)your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you are praying, do not use thoughtless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard because of their (F)many words. 8 So do not be like them; for (G)your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
The Lord’s Prayer
9 “(H)Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father, who is in heaven,
[b]Hallowed be Your name.
10 [c](I)Your kingdom come.
(J)Your will be done,
[d]On earth as it is in heaven.
11 (K)Give us this day [e]our daily bread.
12 And (L)forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation, but (M)deliver us from [f](N)evil.[g]’
14 (O)For if you forgive other people for their [h]offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But (P)if you do not forgive other people, then your Father will not forgive your [i]offenses.Read full chapter
- Matthew 6:5 Lit may show themselves to
- Matthew 6:9 I.e., treated as sacred or holy
- Matthew 6:10 Or May Your...come
- Matthew 6:10 Lit as in heaven, also on earth
- Matthew 6:11 Or our bread for tomorrow
- Matthew 6:13 Or the evil one
- Matthew 6:13 Late mss add For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen
- Matthew 6:14 Or wrongdoings
- Matthew 6:15 Or wrongdoings