Disciples’ Literal New Testament
40 And He comes to the disciples and finds them sleeping. And He says to Peter, “So were you[a] [three] not strong-enough[b] to keep watch with Me for one hour? 41 Keep watching, and be praying that[c] you may not enter into temptation[d]. The spirit is willing[e], but the flesh is weak”. 42 Again having gone away for a second time, He prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, let Your will be done”.Read full chapter
- Matthew 26:40 This word is plural.
- Matthew 26:40 Or, did you not have strength, were you not able.
- Matthew 26:41 Or, Keep watching and praying, in order that.
- Matthew 26:41 Jesus may mean the temptation to deny Him as He predicted; or, to sleep.
- Matthew 26:41 Or, is eager, ready. This willingness may refer to their promise in v 35. Their weak flesh needs spiritual strength if they are to stand firm. Pray for strength so that the upcoming trial does not become a cause of falling for you. Or, Jesus may mean that they want to stay awake, but their body is tired.