New English Translation
28 Jesus[a] said to them, “I tell you the truth:[b] In the age when all things are renewed,[c] when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging[d] the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And whoever has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much[e] and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.Read full chapter
- Matthew 19:28 tn Here δέ (de) has not been translated.
- Matthew 19:28 tn Grk “Truly (ἀμήν, amēn), I say to you.”
- Matthew 19:28 sn The Greek term translated the age when all things are renewed (παλιγγενεσία, palingenesia) is understood as a reference to the Messianic age, the time when all things are renewed and restored (cf. Rev 21:5).
- Matthew 19:28 sn The statement you…will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel looks at the future authority the Twelve will have when Jesus returns. They will share in Israel’s judgment.
- Matthew 19:29 sn Jesus reassures his disciples with a promise that (1) much benefit in this life (a hundred times as much) and (2) eternal life will be given.