Holman Christian Standard Bible
The Power of Faith over a Demon
14 When they reached the crowd,(A) a man approached and knelt down before Him. 15 “Lord,” he said, “have mercy on my son, because he has seizures[a] and suffers severely. He often falls into the fire and often into the water. 16 I brought him to Your disciples, but they couldn’t heal him.”(B)
17 Jesus replied, “You unbelieving and rebellious[b] generation! How long will I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.”(C) 18 Then Jesus rebuked the demon,[c] and it[d] came out of him,(D) and from that moment[e] the boy was healed.
19 Then the disciples approached Jesus privately and said, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
20 “Because of your little faith,” He[f] told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of[g] a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.(E) Nothing will be impossible for you.(F) [21 However, this kind does not come out except by prayer and fasting.]”[h]
The Second Prediction of His Death
22 As(G) they were meeting[i] in Galilee, Jesus told them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men. 23 They will kill Him, and on the third day He will be raised up.” And they were deeply distressed.
Paying the Temple Tax
25 “Yes,” he said.
26 “From strangers,” he said.[m]
“Then the sons are free,” Jesus told him. 27 “But, so we won’t offend them, go to the sea, cast in a fishhook, and take the first fish that you catch. When you open its mouth you’ll find a coin.[n] Take it and give it to them for Me and you.”(J)Read full chapter
- Matthew 17:15 Lit he is moonstruck; thought to be a form of epilepsy
- Matthew 17:17 Or corrupt, or perverted, or twisted; Dt 32:5
- Matthew 17:18 Lit rebuked him or it
- Matthew 17:18 Lit the demon
- Matthew 17:18 Lit hour
- Matthew 17:20 Other mss read your unbelief,” Jesus
- Matthew 17:20 Lit faith like
- Matthew 17:21 Other mss omit bracketed text; Mk 9:29
- Matthew 17:22 Other mss read were staying
- Matthew 17:24 Jewish men paid this tax to support the temple; Ex 30:11-16. A double-drachma could purchase 2 sheep.
- Matthew 17:25 Lit Jesus anticipated him by saying
- Matthew 17:25 Or foreigners
- Matthew 17:26 Other mss read Peter said to Him
- Matthew 17:27 Gk stater, worth 2 double-drachmas