New English Translation
21 “Brother[a] will hand over brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rise against[b] parents and have them put to death. 22 And you will be hated by everyone because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved! 23 Whenever[c] they persecute you in one town,[d] flee to another! I tell you the truth,[e] you will not finish going through all the towns[f] of Israel before the Son of Man comes.Read full chapter
- Matthew 10:21 tn Here δέ (de) has not been translated.sn The mention of father and child in the following clause indicates that brother here refers to actual siblings, the members of one’s own family.
- Matthew 10:21 tn Or “will rebel against.”
- Matthew 10:23 tn Here δέ (de) has not been translated.
- Matthew 10:23 tn The Greek word πόλις (polis) can mean either “town” or “city” depending on the context (BDAG 844 s.v. 1, “population center of varying size, city, town”).
- Matthew 10:23 tn Grk “For truly (ἀμήν, amēn) I say to you.” Here γάρ (gar, “for”) has not been translated.
- Matthew 10:23 tn The Greek word πόλις (polis), can mean either “town” or “city” (see previous note in this verse). “Town” was employed here to emphasize the large number of places to visit (not just the largest cities) and thus the extensive nature of the disciples’ ministry.